Are Dance Competitions Worth It? Three Questions to Ask Yourself
There’s plenty to consider when asking the question “Are dance competitions worth it?” for your studio—-the endless hours of preparation, the cost to attend and the time it takes to travel. And yet the results for your students can far outweigh the headaches if competition opportunities are an important part of your studio goals.
If you already participate in competitions, then you know how much work the dancers put into learning and practicing their routines, and how much money their parents invest in their classes and rehearsals. You also know the stress that can come if you are unprepared for an event, if your expectations were off, or if the competition doesn’t feel like a good fit. Then there’s that amazing feeling of watching your students onstage and earning well-deserved recognition for their hard work. Indeed, competing can be a roller coaster!
So how do you really know if that roller coaster is a worthwhile ride for your studio?
Keep reading to learn the three questions you should consider when asking yourself, “Are dance competitions worth it?”
Looking for more great info on dance competitions? Check out the following articles:
- Dance Competition Music: 4 Tips on Choosing the Right Songs
- Creating a Dance Competition Survival Kit
- Dance Competition Makeup Tips
- 5 Things to Consider When Preparing Solo Dance Choreography
- Competitive Dance Appropriateness: Time to Class It Up!
- 5 High-Energy Snacks to Help You Power Through Your Dance Competitions
- 3 Team-Building Exercises for Your Dance Competition Team
- How to Start a Competition Dance Team
- Nutrition for Dancers: What to Eat Before Competitions
- Dance Competition Tips and Advice: Calming Nerves
- Prepare Dancers for 5 Common Dance Competition Crises
- 5 Ways to Make Dance Competitions a Positive Experience
The “Expert Advice from Misty Lown” series is brought to you by More Than Just Great Dancing™ and TutuTix.