Should I Step Back From Teaching to Focus on Studio Business?
Should I step back from teaching to focus on studio business?
There are only 2 questions you need to answer to make this decision.
I meet a lot of studio owners in my travels, and there seems to be one thing that unites us—we all have a similar backstory. Somewhere along the way in life we fell in love with dance. We became dedicated to creating a career out of dance; we were passionate about the power of dance to change lives; and we were resourceful at using our skills and connections to make a difference in the lives of others.
I believe that studio owners are unique in this way, and this passion for sharing our love of dance is what drives us to succeed. But as we grow in our studio careers, we realize that the job of running a studio is about so much more than dance. We discover that we need to learn how to lead people, manage accounting, develop programming, understand new marketing trends and more. As your studio grows, the business needs can begin to rival the artistic side for your time and attention.
When this happens, you might feel like you’ve come to a crossroads. I know I did! This is where you have to start making decisions about the best place to direct your focus in this new season of life.
Should you step back from teaching to focus on studio business? Continue reading to see the only two questions you need to answer to make this decision.
Looking for more dance studio owner insights? Check out these other articles and resources:
- The Dance Studio Front Desk: The Front Line to Your Business
- Tips for Streamlining Substitute Dance Teachers
- Dance Studio Software: 2017 Studio Owner Reviews
- Dance Recital Preparation Timeline: How Early Should You Start Planning A Recital?
- Your Recital, Your Brand: The Complete Dance Recital Checklist
- Late Payment: How to Handle Tuition Tardiness
- Dance Studio Ideas and More: The Official TutuTix E-Book
- Three BIG Ideas to Make Your Recital More Profitable
The “Expert Advice from Misty Lown” series is brought to you by More Than Just Great Dancing™ and TutuTix.